…or Thinking Beyond “Smart”
Discussion: Other forms of intelligence
- Aparna Piramal Raje and Saskia Sassen, “Redefining Notions of Urban Intelligence,” Live Mint (June 29, 2016).
- Jane Jacobs, “The Uses of Sidewalks: Safety” and “…Contact” in The Death and Life of Great American Cities (New York: Vintage Books, 1992 ): 29-73 [if you haven’t read the book, I encourage you to do so — maybe not now, but some time!]
- Jennifer Gabrys, excerpts from “Engaging the Idiot in Participatory Digital Urbanism” and “Digital Infrastructures of Withness” in Program Earth: Environmental Sensing Technology and the Making of a Computational Planet (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2016): 233-8, 241-5, 261-5 [The theoretical language here might be challenging, or impenetrable, to some of you. That’s okay. The point is not for you to master the Stengerian and Whiteheadian jargon, but to “try on” these more fluid, emergent models of urban intelligence — to see if they might inform your own projects.]
- Eric Gordon and Stephen Walter, “Meaningful Inefficiencies: Resisting the Logic of Technical Efficiency in… Civic Systems” in Gordon and Mihailidis, eds., Civic Media: Technology | Design | Practice (Cambridge: MIT Press, 2016): 243-66 – focus on 253-63.
Optional: Matthew Wilson, “Cyborg Geographies: Towards Hybrid Epistemologies,” Gender, Place and Culture 16:5 (2009): 499-515.
- Felipe Vera and Rahul Mehrotra, “Temporary Flows & Ephemeral Cities,” Room One Thousand 3 (2015).
- Skim through the Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Resilient Cities.
Lab: Developing a catalogue of spatial intelligences. Here’s our spatial intelligence typology.
And here’s the catalogue we ultimately created!
- Other Logics:
- Brad Hargreaves, “We’re Already Building New Cities,” Medium Hothouse (January 16, 2017).
- Harvey Molotch, “The City as Growth Machine: Toward a Political Economy of Place,” American Journal of Sociology 82:2 (September 1976): 309-32.
- Other examples?
- Civic Intelligence:
- Dan Hill, “On the Smart City; A Call for Smart Citizens Instead” through “Passive Citizens” + “Suggestion: Active City Gov’t” through the end, in “On the Smart City: Or, a ‘Manifesto’ for Smart Citizens,” City of Sound (February 1, 2013).
- Ubiquitous Commons + Human Ecosystems
- John Elrick and Will Payne, “Model City: Rule of Innovation,” New New Games.
- Media/Data Literacies and Civic Media as Counterbalances to Smart Technologies:
- Shannon Mattern, “Public In/formation,” Places Journal (November 2016).
- Paul Mihailidis and Roman Gerodimos, “Connecting Pedagogies of Civic Media: The Literacies, Connected Civics, and Engagement in Daily Life” in Eric Gordon and Eric Gordon and Paul Mihailidis, eds., Civic Media: Technology | Design | Practice (Cambridge, MIT Press, 2016): 371-91.
- Actor-Networked/Cyborgian/Ecological Intelligences:
- Owain Jones, “After Nature: Entangled Worlds,” in Noel Castree, David Demerritt, Diana Liverman, and Bruce Rhoads, eds., A Companion to Environmental Humanities (Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009): 294-312.
- Adhijnan Rej, “Jugaad: Frugal Innovation or Hacking the Indian Way?” Wired Innovation Insights (October 23, 2013).
- Erik Swyngedouw, “The City as a Hybrid – On Nature, Society and Cyborg Urbanization,” Capitalism, Nature, Socialism 7:25 (March 1996): 65-80.
Photo : Long Island City, Queens, New York. [Detail from the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, 1903]