Field Trip (4:15 – 6:15): We’ll visit Intersection / Sidewalk Labs to meet with Max Oglesbee, Intersection’s Head of Client Strategy, and Jesse Shapins, Sidewalk Labs’ Director of Design, at 10 Hudson Yards, 26th Floor.
Enter at 30th Street and 10th Ave., and take the “L’Oreal Escalator,” on your right, to the security desk on the upper level. We’ll gather near the security desk. Please arrive as early as possible (ideally by 4), so we can all have security badges printed in the lobby! Which reminds me: it’s probably a good idea to bring photo ID.
- John Hockenberry, “The Future of the ‘Smart City,’” The Takeaway (June 23, 2016) [radio: 0:52] (consider the gendered roles various spokespeople play here — as well as Hockenberry’s recent downfall).
- Check out Intersection and Sidewalk Labs and skim through Sidewalk Talk.
- Shannon Mattern, “Instrumental City: The View from Hudson Yards, circa 2019,” Places Journal (April 2016).
- Nick Pinto, “Google is Transforming NYC’s Payphones into a ‘Personalized Propaganda Engine,’” Village Voice (July 6, 2016).
- Sidewalk does Toronto!: Henry Grabar, “Building Googletown,” Slate (October 25, 2017) + Katie Toth, “A Google-Related Plan Brings Futuristic Vision, Privacy Concerns to Toronto,” All Things Considered, WNYC (November 20, 2017) […and if you want more, here’s the Sidewalk Toronto Community Hall (November 1, 2017) <video>).*
- Post a reading response? Remaining options: 2/14, 2/21, 2/28, 3/7, 3/14